Saturday, April 16, 2011

Doing a Little Gardening, and a Little More Drinking

Yesterday, I opened the gigantic bag of potting soil, filled up my big yellow bowl, grabbed a bunch of plastic pots that my mom gave me, and took it all inside to watch Fame on Ovation.  No Bruno, no Doris.  That sucked - it wasn't the same.

So, I grabbed my seed packets and commenced potting.  Zucchino (round zucchini that are so cute!), eperone, carrots, aubergine (eggplant), okay, I am totally drawing a blank here.  I can't remember what else.  I had the foresight this time to write the names on each pot, so I could identify it later.  Didn't do that with the first batch, so I have no idea what the hell is in each pot yet.

Being me, I was doing this in full hair and makeup, dressed to go out, in knee-high boots with 3 inch heels.  Somehow, my clutzy ass managed to not get anything on me OR the rug.  There was a nosy cat, though, who I had to chase down to wipe the dirt off of her nose.  Olive Snook is our nosy, obnoxious cat (hence the name, for you Pushing Daisies fans).

It was Happy Hour with Lou's co-workers.  He's usually the only guy, and Tabitha and I, who don't work there, are warmly welcomed.  Right off the bat, it was just Suzanne, Lou, and I.  I have such a great time chatting with her.  No one noticed that Miriam and her fantastic daughter Elizabeth were right next to us for a half hour.  It was nice to finally meet Miriam, and I loved chatting with Elizabeth for quite a while.  When the weather gets better, we'll have a cookout on our deck with everyone, and I'll invite the Carlsen clan over, too, Scallywag, their Springer Spaniel, too.  The birds have to stay at home - I'm afraid of birds.  Seriously.  I was maimed by a rooster when I was a kid, never got over it.  Even going down the bird aisle at Petsmart freaks me out.

Oh, and how could I forget one of my favorite chicks, J'Nai, Lou's carpool buddy. She's a fabulously sassy little thing from Atlanta, whose kids can't seem to keep their clothes on.  They're young, it's okay.  Outside of my family, she is the biggest fan of my cooking, and I occasionally send leftovers with Lou for her, too.  I still owe her a dozen muffins.  My mixed berry corn muffins are like crack for her.  She is so damned cute, and always smiling.  How can you not want to squidge that?

Okay, I'll wrap up for now.  I have another post to do.

'Zanne



No comments:

Post a Comment


Scram, bitch, I'm on a break.

Recent Meals

  • Grilled (in the rain) marinated top sirloin w/my Steak Frite and London Pub Sauce
  • Fried chayote
  • Roasted aubergine, zucchini, and yellow squash
  • Soft garlic sandwich rolls, and we made meatball sandwiches
  • Sirloin rubbed with cardamom-laced Turkish coffee
  • Chocolate truffles w/rum and bourbon
  • Petit fours
  • Florentine cookies drizzled with chocolate
  • 13-Bean soup w/parmesan rind and leftover ham
  • Apple spice cardamom muffins
  • Guinnes-injected pot roast
  • Cran-blueberry corn muffins
  • Spaghetti and meatballs - basic, but always a hit in this house
  • Hummus w/roasted garlic, olive, red pepper, and smoked paprika
  • Veggie stirfry w/julienned baby carrots, green peppers, garlic, chickpeas, and balsamic, served over Chinese Black Forbidden Rice
  • Ginger-carrot cake
  • Ginger cranberry mojito
  • Lime-cranberry-mint-strawberry seltzer
  • Lavender-mint iced tea
  • Trip to Beirut: Shish taouk, shish kebab, halvah, garlic naan, rice pilaf w/figs, raisins, and pecans, w/my famous lemon-mint-garlic Lebanese potatoes
  • London Broil w/a wilted spinach and mustard green salad with a bacon, balsamic, and mustard dressing
  • Sweet and red potato pancakes w/zucchini and peppers w/chicken apple sausage
  • Italian wedding soup w/homemade croutons and meatballs
  • "Rock the Casbah" Cardamom, Ginger, Apple Pork Roast w/Armadillo Rice (for you fans of The Clash who remember the cover of Combat Rock)
  • Individual Quiche Lorraine
  • Prosciutto-wrapped beef cubes w/mustard pan sauce
  • Chicken Sausage w/garlic naan and dijon mustard - Lou and I were really drunk.
  • Salt potatoes, mixed fingerlings, lightly mashed, with lot of butter
  • Focaccia w/garlic, onions, mozarella and cherry tomatoes
  • Rosemary and lavender bread
  • Spicy greens and spinach salad w/fresh mozzarella pearls, strawberries, and a strawberry vinegarette
  • Polenta casserole w/cheese and squash baked IN acorn squash halves