Since the main Zzyzx Road Kitchen Chronicles page, which is about cooking, was getting pretty long and jumbled, so I thought I'd split the pages into cooking and gardening.
My garden - my very first garden, by the way (I'm nearly 37 now), is filled with 95% herbs, spices,fruits, and vegetables. The other plants are just two pots of Sweet William flowers, which hold sentimental value for me. Everything else, though, are edibles.
You'll find here an up-to-date inventory list, what is harvestable, and how I use it in my own kitchen.
You'll also find progress on my latest project, a compendium on herb and spice use around the world - now, throghout history, and in my own kitchen.
Also, I'll keep you in the loop on my attempts to get my husband to help me build a small greenhouse, so that I can grow some of my favorite equatorial spices, especially cardamom. Sure, I could figure it out, but I hate using a saw, and, as an archaeologist who used to dig on Kodiak Island in Alaska, he brags that he knows a thing or to about visqueen, which always sounds like waterproof lube to me.
Questions, suggestions, tips, invitations to follow or be followed - all are welcome. I really enjoy getting comments from someone other than the husband person. Not that I don't appreciate his...
- Grilled (in the rain) marinated top sirloin w/my Steak Frite and London Pub Sauce
- Fried chayote
- Roasted aubergine, zucchini, and yellow squash
- Soft garlic sandwich rolls, and we made meatball sandwiches
- Sirloin rubbed with cardamom-laced Turkish coffee
- Chocolate truffles w/rum and bourbon
- Petit fours
- Florentine cookies drizzled with chocolate
- 13-Bean soup w/parmesan rind and leftover ham
- Apple spice cardamom muffins
- Guinnes-injected pot roast
- Cran-blueberry corn muffins
- Spaghetti and meatballs - basic, but always a hit in this house
- Hummus w/roasted garlic, olive, red pepper, and smoked paprika
- Veggie stirfry w/julienned baby carrots, green peppers, garlic, chickpeas, and balsamic, served over Chinese Black Forbidden Rice
- Ginger-carrot cake
- Ginger cranberry mojito
- Lime-cranberry-mint-strawberry seltzer
- Lavender-mint iced tea
- Trip to Beirut: Shish taouk, shish kebab, halvah, garlic naan, rice pilaf w/figs, raisins, and pecans, w/my famous lemon-mint-garlic Lebanese potatoes
- London Broil w/a wilted spinach and mustard green salad with a bacon, balsamic, and mustard dressing
- Sweet and red potato pancakes w/zucchini and peppers w/chicken apple sausage
- Italian wedding soup w/homemade croutons and meatballs
- "Rock the Casbah" Cardamom, Ginger, Apple Pork Roast w/Armadillo Rice (for you fans of The Clash who remember the cover of Combat Rock)
- Individual Quiche Lorraine
- Prosciutto-wrapped beef cubes w/mustard pan sauce
- Chicken Sausage w/garlic naan and dijon mustard - Lou and I were really drunk.
- Salt potatoes, mixed fingerlings, lightly mashed, with lot of butter
- Focaccia w/garlic, onions, mozarella and cherry tomatoes
- Rosemary and lavender bread
- Spicy greens and spinach salad w/fresh mozzarella pearls, strawberries, and a strawberry vinegarette
- Polenta casserole w/cheese and squash baked IN acorn squash halves