Monday, July 18, 2011

We've Struck Starch! The First Potato Out of the Ground at Zzyzx Road's Garden!

First Potato Out of the Ground at Zzyzx Road!

This morning, Lou and I pulled out this little purple beauty out of the first bin.  She wan't very big, but it was proof that I had done something right.  I'm still going to give these guy at least another month before I harvest anything, but I could take the little baby potatoes out now.

This is a Purple Majesty, a small potato that is richer in many vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants than a commercially grown russet, or a genetically-altered Frito-Lay monstrosity.  They actually have patents on their mutant potatoes.

You can buy packaged "seed potatoes" at a garden center or nursery, that looks like the photo on the right.  It's sprouted and ready for planting.  This one, however, I seeded myself, from a half-dollar-sized Purple Majesty that I got from the organic potatoe guy at one of our farmers' markets.  When you buy potatoes from Safeway, they are usually sprayed with chemicals that retard sprouting.  Even our largest nurseries did not sell seedlings for anything beyond plain, old Russets or Yukon Golds, so that's why I "grew my own."  I have about a dozen different varieties growing right now.

Because I am phenomenally lazy, there was no way in hell that I was going to dig several feet down in my back garden, so I learned that you can grow potatoes in tubs, like Rubbermaid storage bins.  I picked 18-gallon tubs, had Mom and Lou drill holes (I don't get to play with power tools ince the rice cooker incident).  You add a few inches of soil every few weeks, as the plants grow taller, until the whole tub is full, then you wait for the flowers to bloom and wither, and you have potatoes!  To the right, you can see my four tubs, full of plants and soil, and the flowers are just beginning to form.

Ess, bench, sei a mensch!

-Zanne

No comments:

Post a Comment


Scram, bitch, I'm on a break.

Recent Meals

  • Grilled (in the rain) marinated top sirloin w/my Steak Frite and London Pub Sauce
  • Fried chayote
  • Roasted aubergine, zucchini, and yellow squash
  • Soft garlic sandwich rolls, and we made meatball sandwiches
  • Sirloin rubbed with cardamom-laced Turkish coffee
  • Chocolate truffles w/rum and bourbon
  • Petit fours
  • Florentine cookies drizzled with chocolate
  • 13-Bean soup w/parmesan rind and leftover ham
  • Apple spice cardamom muffins
  • Guinnes-injected pot roast
  • Cran-blueberry corn muffins
  • Spaghetti and meatballs - basic, but always a hit in this house
  • Hummus w/roasted garlic, olive, red pepper, and smoked paprika
  • Veggie stirfry w/julienned baby carrots, green peppers, garlic, chickpeas, and balsamic, served over Chinese Black Forbidden Rice
  • Ginger-carrot cake
  • Ginger cranberry mojito
  • Lime-cranberry-mint-strawberry seltzer
  • Lavender-mint iced tea
  • Trip to Beirut: Shish taouk, shish kebab, halvah, garlic naan, rice pilaf w/figs, raisins, and pecans, w/my famous lemon-mint-garlic Lebanese potatoes
  • London Broil w/a wilted spinach and mustard green salad with a bacon, balsamic, and mustard dressing
  • Sweet and red potato pancakes w/zucchini and peppers w/chicken apple sausage
  • Italian wedding soup w/homemade croutons and meatballs
  • "Rock the Casbah" Cardamom, Ginger, Apple Pork Roast w/Armadillo Rice (for you fans of The Clash who remember the cover of Combat Rock)
  • Individual Quiche Lorraine
  • Prosciutto-wrapped beef cubes w/mustard pan sauce
  • Chicken Sausage w/garlic naan and dijon mustard - Lou and I were really drunk.
  • Salt potatoes, mixed fingerlings, lightly mashed, with lot of butter
  • Focaccia w/garlic, onions, mozarella and cherry tomatoes
  • Rosemary and lavender bread
  • Spicy greens and spinach salad w/fresh mozzarella pearls, strawberries, and a strawberry vinegarette
  • Polenta casserole w/cheese and squash baked IN acorn squash halves